Robert Guerrero Wants Out of Golden Boy

Share Button

LOS ANGELES, CA –

It seems ‘The Ghost’ wants to disappear into the night.

According to a report by ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Robert “the Ghost” Guerrero wants out of his current contractual agreement with Golden Boy Promotions and has sought the arbitration route through the California State Athletic Commission.

A surprising and unexpected announcement but at the same time, the Ghost hasn’t really been heard from since losing to Floyd Mayweather last May in Las Vegas. Not only surprising to fans and observers but also to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer,

“What his issues are, I can’t tell you. You’d have to ask him,” Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Wednesday. “We have totally complied with our contract with regard to the minimum purses and the number of fights, so I don’t know what they are basing this on.”

“He made a career-high payday last year and we put him in with Andre Berto in a big fight before that,” Schaefer said. “We gave him the exposure he wanted and he made a lot of money. I’m proud of how we have promoted Robert Guerrero and of the money we have made for him.

“The guy was on my ass to get him the Mayweather fight for a long time. Finally, I get him the deal and now he is unhappy. I don’t understand.”

Guerrero’s turned down fights recently and has virtually vanished from the public eye with the exception of charity work he’s been performing. As the story develops, we’ll have more information.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.