Gonzalez vs. Mares II Postponed, Mares Injured

Share Button

LOS ANGELES, CA –

According to multiple sources (ESPN.com, BoxingScene.com), the featherweight title rematch between Jhonny Gonzalez and Abner Mares scheduled for February 15th has been postponed due to an rib injury Mares suffered while sparring.

Richard Schaefer, who spoke directly to ESPN.com, said the following:

“I got a call from directly Abner [on Monday afternoon] and he said that he suffered a rib injury last week in sparring and that he tried to see if he could shake it off but he had to go and see the doctor and that the doctor told him he should not have any contact for several weeks,” Schaefer said. “So that necessitates that we move the date of the fight and it will not happen on Feb. 15.”

Schaefer said that Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez informed Gonzalez’s team of the situation. Schaefer said he also informed Showtime Sports chief Stephen Espinoza.

“I will be working next week with Stephen to see what we want to do,” Schaefer said. “I need to talk to venues and coordinate with Showtime to find a different date. Abner wants this fight and so does Jhonny, so it’s just a matter of finding a different date that works.”

At the current time, there are no other matches scheduled for the February card.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.