Golovkin Defeats Geale By TKO; Jennings Wins

Share Button


Gennady “GGG” Golovkin claimed another victim Saturday.

Making his debut in “The Big Room” at Madison Square Garden, Golovkin defeated Australia’s Daniel Geale by third round TKO.

Although Golovkin was largely favored in the bout Geale was expected to present his toughest challenge to date. A viable, legitimate, middleweight with fast hands,  Geale was expected to be a real threat to the Kazakhstan born champion’s reign.

It didn’t quite turn out that way.

Taking control from the opening bell, Golovkin kept Geale at bay with a steady jab. Geale managed to slip in a few sneaky straight rights but they did nothing to stop the Golovkin onslaught. Unfortunately for Geale, he found himself not only being battered by Golovkin but tripped by a ringside camera man’s stap that sent him to the canvas.

Who doesn’t like a four minute round?!

As action continued, Golovkin cut off the ring and trapped Geale against the ropes where he did the most damage. Dropping Geale for the first time in round 2 Golovkin batted the Aussie around like a cat with a mouse. Making it to his feet, Geale survived the round and emerged in round 3 with a sense of urgency. However, it was too little too late. Golovkin moved in and dropped Geale for the final time with ring referee Mark Ortega calling for a stop in action at the 2:47 mark.

In the post-fight interview, Golovkin show his respect for Geale and expressed his desire for a unification bout against newly crowned middleweight champion Miguel Cotto.

In the night’s co-feature bout, Bryant “By-By” Jennings of Philadelphia defeated Mike Perez in a WBC heavyweight title eliminator bout by split decision.

A fight that lacked the excitement the build-up promised, the action resembled a carefully orchestrated dance instead of drag-out boxing match. As action progressed throught he rounds, the exchanges consisted of infrequent, accurate punching by a lack of prime shape Perez and selective punching and rope leaning tie-ups by Jennings.

Perez controlled action in the early rounds but soon appeared gassed leaving the door open for Jennings to come in and catch-up on the cards. In the final round, ring referee Harvey Dock deducted a point from Perez for pushing Jennings’ head down. An odd call without any visible warning early in the match. Ultimately it was the point deduction that would give the win to Jennings.

In the post-fight press conference, Jennings’ promoter Gary Shaw said the his heavyweight would be facing the winner of the upcoming Stiverne vs. Wilder heavyweight title fight.

Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.