Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin Confirmed For September
Anthony Joshua has a return to the ring date, but not against Deontay Wilder.
Joshua’s promoter Matchroom Boxing announced on Monday that the WBA/IBF/WBO heavyweight champion will defend his titles against Alexander Povetkin of Russia.
The bout marks a quick turnaround for Joshua who defeated former WBO heavyweight champion Joseph Parker of New Zealand in March. For Povetkin, this marks his second major title opportunity since being defeated by Wladimir Klitscko in 2013 and testing positive in December 2016 for the banned substance ostarine ahead of a title fight against WBC champion Deontay Wilder.
Joshua said this about his opponent.
“I can’t wait to get back in the ring – the end of March feels a long time ago now,” said Joshua, who will return to the scene of his 11th-round knockout of former champion Klitschko in April last year.
“Povetkin is a serious challenge that I will prepare meticulously for. He has a serious pedigree and only a fool would underestimate what he brings to the table.”
Povetkin is the mandatory challenger to Joshua’s WBA title. The bout is scheduled to take place at Wembley Stadium on September 22.